The Health & Safety Engineer is responsible for developing, communicating, and enforcing safety, health and environmental policies and procedures while ensuring 100% legal and company policy compliance. Duties include ensuring the safety our employees and environmental compliance for the Lamsco West facility in Valencia.
Lamsco West, Inc is a premier manufacturer and supplier for Aerospace and Defense specialty metallic and non-metallic machined parts, assemblies, solid and laminated stock and value-added services. Lamsco West, Inc. is the largest single manufacturer of detail parts, shims and laminated shim stock in the World. The holder of many prestigious performance awards for exemplary quality and delivery ratings, Lamsco’s integrated business systems are the most sophisticated in use in the industry today. Lamsco’s class-leading systems are complemented by state-of-the-art factory equipment and controls, which make extensive use of electronic visual displays for monitoring performance and efficiency in real time at each production cell. Lamsco holds approvals from all North American airframe manufacturers and their major tier one suppliers and has expertise in managing complex, high-volume logistics, including EDI-controlled min/max systems. Lamsco West is part of Avantus Aerospace.
At Lamsco, our customers are the reason for our business. Ensuring customer satisfaction by identifying their unique requirements is the reason for our success. This role is critical to our organization. We serve major OEMs, Sub-Tiers and Distributors around the globe. We strive to offer premier customer service by augmenting key relationship and maintaining an excellent customer experience. We developed a state of art system and processes that allow us to support this vision. If you want to advance your career with a global footprint and contributing to a vision focused on customer success and respect for employees, then apply to this opportunity.
- Direct Line â President
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Senior Leadership to design and build training programs to ensure the safety of employees and the quality of products.
- Lead the implementation and maintenance of Health & Safety programs, systems and standards for the Valencia facility.
- Ensure 100% Safety, Health and Environmental legal compliance with City, State and Federal law.
- Maintain 100% Safety, Health and Environmental legal compliance with applicable regulations and/or guidelines established by OSHA, NFPA, NIOSH, DOT, EPA and other applicable regulatory agencies including all city, state and federal law
- To cooperatively work with existing Health & Safety personnel in other divisions to address any and all legal compliance and best practice non-conformities identified by the independent Group safety audits undertaken annually.
- Lead environmental and safety audits at Lamsco in cooperation with all existing personnel and third-party advisers and other stakeholders.
- Assist local teams with responses to Health & Safety related questionnaires/inquiries/requests from customers and other third parties.
- Facilitate efficient local day to day Health & Safety management and compliance. Including in the proper administration of environmental permits, air, water and waste environmental requirements, CALOSHA Regulations, basic training, safety observations and accident investigation.
- Continually develop the Company's Safety Policy, ensuring it is broadly published and understood within the workplace.
- Collaborate with employees to complete hazard assessments, PPE assessments, etc. and implement appropriate policies and procedures to mitigate risks.
- Ensure that all activities in the workplace are undertaken in a manner consistent with the overriding objective of providing a safe environment for employees, contractors, suppliers, customers other visitors/stakeholders.
- Ensure rigorous risk assessment and accident management systems are in place and to take part in these as appropriate.
- Monitor employee exposure to physical and chemical hazards, including appropriate and timely testing as necessary.
- Support incident management process to determine root cause, prevention, and corrective measures.
- Monitor, evaluate and review new and existing Safety legislation and ensure legally compliant systems/practices are in place.
- Continually assess safety within the operations and premises to identify areas for improvement, developing new policies and/or systems of work to address these.
- Track Health & Safety training needs, compliance, and effectiveness.
- Support environmental compliance programs.
- Identify, set, monitor and report upon agreed Health & Safety performance metrics, objectives and recommendation in conjunction with appropriate management, based on proactive and reactive measurement standards.
- Ensure that the Safety Committees are assembled (with written constitution) which hold regular meetings, during which comprehensive minutes are documented that include time-and-action items, which are communicated appropriately.
- Plan, conduct, document and track implementation of safety audits and corrective actions.
- Proactively encourage and support employee engagement in all matters related to Health & Safety.
- Identify the training needs of all relevant personnel (in conjunction with management); to personally deliver safety, quality and proper for the job training (if required) to relevant employees and/or to engage with specialist training providers to ensure that training is delivered.
- Ensure all Health & Safety records are accurately and appropriately maintained in accordance with local law.
- Coordinate employees event committee and support organization of company events
- Lead the 5s and custodia team as it pertains to safety
- Additional duties, as assigned
Additional Comments: The essential functions have been provided as examples of the type of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. The Company reserves the right to modify the work assignments and/or to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions. The job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities. It is intended to describe the general nature of the position.
Requirements: Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful job performance will be considered. Typical qualifications would be:
- Bachelor’s degree in Health & Safety or related field
- 3-5 years experience in Health & Safety
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment (machine shops preferred)
- Strong background with Machine Guarding, Control of Hazardous Energy, Hazard Communications, Electrical Safety, Mobile Equipment and Lifting programs
- Working knowledge of Federal and California OSHA standards
- Experience with process improvement (Lean, Six Sigma, etc.) preferred
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skill that can be used with people of various backgrounds, experience and education
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated presentation skills and training delivery skills
- Track record of success managing multiple tasks simultaneously, while working to consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office
- Travel less than 10% within the U.S.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid vacation for newly hired employees
- 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds
- Life insurance and disability coverage
Lamsco West is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, committed to a diverse work force and a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by 22.C.F.R