Basic Purpose and Objective
Performs routine physical and metallurgical tests on in-process and final production parts. Tests new products according to established procedures and qualifications.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs tests associated with Metallurgical Testing, such as preparing and examining metallurgical mounts to ensure conformance to quality requirements and/or specifications.
- Performs tests associated with Mechanical Testing, such as tensile, shear, fatigue, stress durability, head ductility, installation force, torque, and other tests to ensure conformance to quality requirements and/or specifications.
- Performs in-process tests on setup parts from various manufacturing operations
- Assists Lab Supervisor and Lab Technicians in monitoring job status and quality.
- Analyzes drawings and specifications for correct test requirements, procedures, and sampling plans.
- Assures maintenance and calibration on all test equipment is up to date prior to use.
- Document mechanical tests and examination results for product acceptance.
- Reports any safety violation, test equipment misusage and/or improperly performed work to Supervisor.
- Ensure that lab cleanliness and safety standards are maintained.
Skills and Formal Training Requirements/Experience
- Use precision tools/machines to perform dimensional inspections, mechanical tests, and metallurgical examinations of product to verify compliance to customer specifications and drawings.
- Read drawings and blueprints.
- Performs visual and measured inspections using various measurement instruments and inspection equipment.
- Completes and maintains certification and testing equipment on a daily basis.
- Completes inspection and test records and reports.
- Conducts inspections employed at the shop
- Complete documentation needed to support testing procedures including data capture forms, equipment logbooks, or inventory forms.
- Interpret test results, compare them to established specifications and control limits, and make recommendations on appropriateness of data for release.
- Monitor testing procedures to ensure that all tests are performed according to established item specifications, standard test methods, or protocols
- Read and understand the Company Quality Manual.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedures, procurement specifications and customer drawings.
- Ability to perform basic mathematics in various units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate rates, ratios, percent, psi and to generate graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding and carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions from coworkers and/or superiors. Ability to deal with problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must have intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Have good mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work unsupervised and with other individuals to support/achieve common goals and objectives.
- Must have good communication and writing skills in the English language.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED); or 3-5 years related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and related experience in Quality Control.
- 3 - 5 years experience as a Lab Technician or in a related field preferred
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.